Today we drove further from home to walk at Calshot Spit, a cold fresh and sunny day lightened ones mood in these difficult times.
Calshot beach forms part of a mile long shingle spit that reaches out into the mouth of Southampton Water. It is a great spot to watch ships coming into the Port of Southampton. At the end of the spit is Calshot Castle one of a number of small forts built to defend the south coast from the French by Henry VIII Calshot Castle was built in 1539. On the land side of the spit is salt marsh which is home to many water birds. Behind the marsh is the decommissioned Fawley Power Station which is slowly being dismantled.
On the Fawley site MHI Vestas has a state-of-the-art painting and logistics facility for its 80-metre turbine blades which are manufactured on the Isle of Wight. They are moved on special ships to the site.
Redshank and Little Egret on the Salt Mash.