Situated at the mouth of the River Hamble, where it enters Southampton Water is the village of Warsash. A popular sailing area, historically Warsash was known for fishing and smuggling. Nearby are a number of old Salterns (area for making salt from seawater).
Details on the Memorial on the quayside.
“COMBINED OPERATIONS BRITISH AND ALLIED NAVAL AND COMMANDOUNITS SAILED FROM THE HAMBLE RIVER ON THE NIGHT OF 5TH JUNE 1944 FOR THE D-DAY LANDINGS ON THE NORMANDY BEACHES 40TH ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATION THIS MEMORIAL WAS UNVEILED BY THE COUNTESS MOUNTBATTEN OF BURMA CD JP DI ON 5TH JUNE 1984 ERECTED WITH THE AID OF DONATIONS FROM THE PEOPLE OF FAREHAM, THE FAREHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL AND THE HAMPSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL COUNCILLOR DR H.G. JERRARD MAYOR OF FAREHAM/ 1984 – 1985 FOR OUR FREEDOM”.
Harbour Master building.
Warsash Maritime Academy survival craft training facility. Fawley Power Station in background
Crab pots on the beach.